Senior Design Engineer
Our Mission: To eliminate energy waste.
Our Vision: To prevent 29 million tons of CO2eq emissions before 2030 by making energy saving simple, substantial and profitable for large buildings and factories.
Our Core Values: Empower Each Team Member with a Sense of Ownership, Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit, Get Shit Done, Maintain a High Level of Transparency and Honesty, Be Passionate, Determined and Bold, Pursue Growth and Learning, Be Adventurous, Creative and Open-minded. Details here
Our Business Offerings:
JoulePAYS (Pay as you save): Guaranteed savings on utility energy consumption for large existing facilities through design, execution and management of profitable energy conservation measures. Smart Joules invests in all the upgrades and charges clients a share of the savings under long term contracts.
JouleCOOL: Comprehensive on-site utility business model applicable to new facilities, where Smart Joules offers cooling “as a service” by designing, building, owning, operating and maintaining the entire cooling infrastructure in return for monthly payments based on demand and usage.
JouleONE: Data-driven power quality optimization solutions for commercial and industrial customers in partnership with large electric utility companies.
DeJoule: IOT automation technology enabling data-driven continuous performance optimization and client delight. It continuously identifies and corrects for hidden inefficiencies in dynamic energy systems such as air conditioning and compressed air. It 1) collects data in real time from sensors and other many sources, 2) analyses real time and historical data using heuristic and machine learning algorithms to find hidden energy inefficiencies and optimum set points, and 3) continuously adjusts (controls) set points of various equipment to minimize energy use.
Role Vision and Responsibilities:
You will be responsible for leading the Central Design team to identify, assess, select and formulate ECMs that can deliver min 20% savings at each JoulePAYS client site. The work includes maintaining an ECM Book for each site, designing ECM Notes, Design Qualifications, Techno-Commercial comparisons and Monthly Savings Projections for each selected ECM, and continuously identifying, assessing and innovating new ways of saving energy.
- To identify, assess and innovate new ways of saving energy, or of increasing efficiency in delivery (cost, time, manpower, etc.) of existing Smart Joules ECMs.
- Relationship Management
- SJPL Team:
- Support the Business Development team in assessing new opportunities.
- Guide the work of Field Engineering team to complete data collection for analysis of ECMs.
- Deliver a comprehensive design with complete documentation to Project Execution team to maximize energy savings / rupee invested. Lead final vendor negotiations, involving Project Execution, Procurement and Top Management as necessary. Coordinate for approval of ECM Notes and for post-implementation savings verification of ECMs.
- Share timely and comprehensive information with BMS Design and Commissioning team to allow for configuration of all sites on DeJoule.
- Collaborate with Analytics & Automation and Operations teams to help maximize operational savings, and assess ECM performance against Monthly Savings Projections.
- Share knowledge, documentation and contacts with Central Services and Operations teams as needed.
- Providing meaningful opportunities for members from all SJPL teams to interact with the design team for empathy building and collective learning.
- Vendors and Subcontractors: Maintaining good relationships with high quality, reliable and cost-effective vendors and contractors with adequate redundancy.
- Clients: Maintain good relationship with the client team/representative.
- Energy Audit
- Provide strategic and tactical direction, methods, formats and training to Field Engineering team to collect the required data to analyze all ECMs as quickly, accurately and efficiently as possible.
- Centrally maintain all energy auditing data in standard formats.
- Centrally manage procurement, distribution, smooth handling, calibration and maintenance of auditing tools/measuring instruments required by Smart Joules
- ECM Design
- Develop and maintain an ECM Book for each client site summarizing the techno-commercial potential and go/no-go decision with respect to each of Smart Joules’ standard ECMs based on collected data, as well as new ECMs based on particular site observations.
- Finalize ECMs delivering minimum 20% energy savings and maximum 20-month SJPL payback period for every site, including preparation of techno-commercial comparison for major selected equipment (i.e. Chiller, HVAC Pumps, Cooling Towers, 2-way valves, VFDs etc.), vendor negotiations, etc.
- Prepare ECM Notes, Design Qualifications and Monthly Saving Projections for each of the finalized ECMs.
- JouleWEEK: Prepare and share a comprehensive weekly report of the Central Design team with all SJPL team mates.
- Own the following: Energy Audit Data, ECM Book, ECM Notes, Design Qualifications, Monthly Savings Projections.
- Regularly document and share best practices and success stories from all sites with all teams in Smart Joules.
- Keep the Central Documentation folder updated site-wise with all relevant information.
- Discuss and review design intent logic with the BMS Design and Commissioning Team to finalize the scope of DeJoule deployment for all sites.
- Share ECM Notes, Design Qualifications, Monthly Savings Projections and equipment technical data sheet with BMS Design and Commissioning Team to allow for comprehensive and timely configuration of DeJoule.
- Work closely with Analytics & Automation team to develop new Joule Recipes for continuous energy optimization.
Reinforce the Company’s Mission, Vision and Core Values and ensure adherence to company policies throughout the Central Design team. Leadership responsibilities include:
- Contribute towards improving the company’s culture and policies, and to overall company planning in line with our Mission and Vision.
- Making monthly and weekly work plans for all members of the Central Design team, and managing their day-to-day work activities.
- Coordinate with the HR department for recruitment, induction, training, performance assessment and celebration of Smart Joules team members, as needed.
- Represent Smart Joules at various industry events.
Starting Location: Delhi
The Right Candidate Has:
- Hunger to make a positive contribution to the planet
- Courage to roll with the punches and keep going at it
- Optimism rubbing off on others in the organization
- Collaborate effectively with multiple sites with rigorous follow ups
- Pays major attention to minor details
- Can do attitude– get shit done and ensure deliverables within timelines and required quality
- Tenacity, reliability, perseverance, pursuit of quality. Be able to prioritize their own work, and focus on executing a particular task/project to completion under the pressure
- Qualifications and skills:
- B.Tech/M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering / Energy Engineering / Electrical Engineering
- BEE Certified Energy Auditor/ Energy Manager.
- More than 5 years of experience covering a mix of energy auditing, project design, energy management, project planning and project execution.
- Extremely strong in mass balance and energy balance.
- Strong knowledge and experience with design and execution of central air conditioning systems, including working experience with building energy management systems.
- Strong computer skills (Web Search, Email, Word, Excel, Power Point). Knowledge of energy modeling software would be an advantage.
- Must be able to make effective presentations to a variety of audience.
- Knowledgeable about products, services, companies and people eliminating energy waste in India.
- Knowledgeable about leading quality standards (ISO, ISHRAE, BEE) and certifications (LEED, NABH).
- You will report to Chief Operating Officer
About Smart Joules:
- 35% reduction on total energy consumption across all our clients till date, equivalent to the annual consumption of more than 6 Lakh avg. Indian households
- 86,000 metric tons of annual CO2-eq. emissions reduction from existing projects
- Saved more than INR 103 Crore worth of energy for our clients
Teams: 125+ people across Product Development, Design, Projects, Operations & Maintenance, Analytics, Automation lead by an MIT + UC Berkeley Alum, a Navy Veteran, a financial whizard, a product leader and people’s champion
Clients: Apollo, Fortis, CARE, KIMS, Aster, Amneal, LMW other leading companies
Geographical Presence: 25+ cities throughout India & 1 international partnership in Indonesia
Financial Supporters: Asian Development Bank, TATA Capital, Sangam Ventures, Max Industries, Intelleventures, Mr. Saket Burman (Dabur Family), Mr. Nadir Godrej and 5 angel investors
Major Recognitions: Champion of Change recognition from the Prime Minister’s Office & Niti Aayog, 10+ National Awards from Ministry of Power & CII, International Award from German Energy Ministry, Multiple international grants and fellowships, 35+ media coverages
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.